Thursday, June 29, 2017

New Work: 12 x 12 x 12 June 2017


I finished my 12 x 12 x 12 June 2017 one day before the end of June because of a busy schedule. It's made with a base layer of fabric monoprinted of a construction fence, and acrylic skins made from photos of my birthday cake layered on top of the fabric.


A little more than a week ago, I celebrated a milestone birthday. To celebrate, I collaborated with The Sleepy Baker. She made the cake and iced it in multicolored buttercream icing, and we worked together to add design elements so the cake would look like one of my paintings. Yay!

I invited friends and family over to my house for a piece of cake, and my photographer took pictures of the cake and it was served.

Now my wonderful birthday cake is forever documented in a painting.

July and August should be much less busy. I'm planning on enjoying my home-based art studio, and work on a number of new paintings.

I'm now halfway through my eleventh year of working on my 12 x 12 x 12 series. It has given me time to create one 12" x 12" x 1" piece on board each month, no matter how many other things are going on that month. It's been a wonderful opportunity for me to experiment with an idea or technique or a combination of both. Looking back over what I created over the years, some of the pieces have been really good, and others not so much.