Thursday, October 19, 2017

New Work: 12 x 12 x 12 October 2017


12 x 12 x 12 October 2017 is a fun slight departure from the imagery I usually useIt's created with a piece of fabric monoprinted with a square shaped construction fence, collaged acrylic skins of photos of my kitchen colander (strainer), small colored circles of commercial fabric, and paint.

I took pictures of the colander on my front step during the eclipse in August, trying to see the blocked sun though the holes. It didn't work very well because we didn't have that much of an eclipse in Massachusetts. and I didn't know to lift the colander off the ground to try to focus. 

I did like the photos of the dots though. Not to let it be for naught, I decided to use them in my artwork anyway because they're different than other photos I've used in the past.

I've been working on my 12 x 12 x 12 series since January 2007. It has given me time to create one 12" x 12" x 1" piece on board each month, no matter how many other things are going on that month. It's a wonderful opportunity for me to experiment with an idea or technique or a combination of both. This series is really about experimentation and creating something on a regular basis, no matter what else is going on in my life. Sometimes I like a piece, and sometimes not.