Saturday, December 30, 2017

New Work: Dates in a Life Project 2017

Dates in a Life Project
mixed media on stiffened fabric
36" x 49"
2017

I did it! After working on this all year, I am proud to have finished the Dates in a Life Project 2017!

The Dates in a Life Project documents the expiration and purchase dates of my family's milk purchases in 2017.

It's created with monoprinted textures of construction fences, combined with handpainting, stitching, and collaged paper and fabric on stiffened fabric.

The small printed dates are the expiration dates of our milk bottles.

The dotted white painted lines in-between the stitching mark how many bottles of milk were purchased that day. If we bought one bottle there's white below the day. If we bought a second bottle, there's white to the left of the day, and if we bought three, there's white to the right of the day.

The dotted lines connect the date we purchased the milk with the expiration date. 

The solid white squares in the Sunday, Tuesday and Thursday columns show the expiration days of the milk company we commonly buy our milk from. 

I got a lot of interesting and fun suggestions for next year, and I thank everyone for taking the time to tell me about them. I am saving them as possibilities for 2019.

Next up is Dates in a Life Project 2018, documenting the number of steps I walk each day. Stay tuned!

Happy New Year!