Friday, March 2, 2018

Update: Dates in a Life Project 2018


Here is an update about my Dates in a Life Project 2018. This piece is a year-long painting documenting the number of steps I walk each day. These photos show the results through February 28, 2018.


I have a system of symbols to represent each thousand steps. Instead of showing exactly how many I walk each day, I’m rounding up or down. As an example, 2000-2499 steps equals 2000, and 2500-3000 equals 3000 steps. 



My goal is to walk as much as I can every day. I prefer to walk for exercise, as time permits, outside in addition to whatever other walking I do as I go about my day.

This piece measures 33" x 39" and is created with monoprinted textures of a construction fence, combined with handpainting, stitching, and collaged fabric, on stiffened fabric.

To keep track of steps, I'm using the Health app in my iPhone. I've come to realize is unfortunately not always accurate, but I'll continue to use it anyway.

The solid white squares are in the Saturday and Sunday columns for design reasons. I usually have more time to walk on the weekend, and I've caught up on sleep and therefore more energy to exercise.

Stay tuned for updates during the year.